I know that for quite a few players, this won’t be a huge revelation, but I know that there are probably still people who are farming for the elusive T2-paladin set (or any T2-set, which mostly drops in BWL). One of the problems is that ever since mid-WOTLK, Nefarian has a bigger loot-table. When Onyxia was upgraded from a level 60 to a level 80 boss, the loot from her table was moved to Nefarian… so, with a limited amount of items that drop per kill, an increased amount of POSSIBLE items that can be dropped means more luck is needed.
Of course, at lvl 90, the whole raid should be totally easy to solo, but let’s not forget that sometimes, there are mechanics that make it hard to solo a boss, no matter how much HP or DPS you have.
Razorgore, the very first boss, seems to be like that. There are eggs all over the room which you can only destroy by mind-controlling the boss (with an orb at the end of the room). If even only one egg is kept intact when the boss is killed, you will be insta-killed (along with any friend you bring).
When you MC the boss to kill those eggs, he will be aggroed by the adds that keep coming in, and if he dies, you fail as well.
Doing this with 2 people is very easy… one MCs the boss to destroy all eggs, the other kills the adds. At the current level, they will go down with 1-2 hits.
What if you do wanna solo it though? There IS a way, and here is how:
– Run to the orb and kill the mobs around it. Immediately click the orb and start MCing the boss, destroying the eggs (the ability will be “4” on your keyboard or Razer Naga)
– Once he has like 2-4 mobs on him that hit him, click his icon (below yours as long as you MC) and choose “Dismiss”, thereby ending the mind-control.
– Hopefully, the adds on the boss will run to you, just like the boss will do.
– It’s a good idea to NOT use any of the damage-dealing abilities of the boss… otherwise, after you end the MC,
the adds he hit will still be attacking him and he might die.
– After cancelling the MC, heal if you need to, maybe use a quick AOE ability to kill all the mobs around you, and click the orb again quickly to MC again.
– Rinse and repeat until all eggs are gone. At this point, the adds will run out, the boss will end the MC and attack you… you can go nuts now and kill him
So the method is to MC the boss, and once he gets aggro, you stop the MC so he loses aggro, and then immediately do it again.
When you do AOE the mobs around you while not MCing, please be careful to not accidentially hurting the boss until you MC him again.
I managed to destroy all eggs on the very first attempt, on my paladin. I didn’t need to heal, and when I had interrupted the MC, I just did a quick AOE attack to kill at least some of the adds around me, and started again.
Next, I tried with my (arms) warrior, and this was a closer call… the boss had a lot of mobs on him so he almost died… he was at about 3-4K health when he destroyed the final egg.
I have not tried this with a cloth class… if you do want to try, you might wanna have a potion or self-heal ready to use when you stop the MC, as you will have lots and lots of adds on you, attacking you.
Other than that, I doubt there will be much of a problem.
If this doesnt work on the first attempt, don’t give up! Experiment with when to stop the MC…whether you wanna do it early, to avoid almost ALL dmg to the boss, or later, kinda predicting how long his health will last.
I guarantee that this method works. I did it on two different chars with no wipe, and a friend of mine has done it on his char (another plate-wearer) as well, so don’t give up… and good luck on looting those weapons and t2-setpieces or elementium ingots (which you need for the legendary weapon or can sell at the AH for a nice profit, same as with the pets that some bosses drop)